point of views of a viewer

a viewer's point of view

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009- Swedish Film)


Note: before I watched this film I don’t know that this is an adaptation from the bestselling book written by Swedish author and journalist Steig Larsson.  
        To tell you honestly, the only reason why I tried to watch this film was because I’m curious about the title and the only thing that I know is this Hollywood film. In fact I didn’t know that the lead stars of its current adaptation were led by Daniel Craig (latest James Bond) and Rooney Mara.  
         So Swedish film (which I thought a Russian film at first) is one the violent films I ever watch. Almost all possible physical and psychological abuses you can imagine are here.  I can’t count the number of rape cases but the two visually upsetting are done to Lizbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace)- the girl with the dragon tattoo. To be able to get her allowance from her court-appointed guardian she needs to do something. The second time she was raped I can’t even watch on TV screen.  Good thing she knows how to revenge, the abuser gets what he deserves.
         What I really like in this film is how they solve the case of Harriet Vanger that evolved 40 years ago. Mikael Blomkvist, (played by Michael Nyqvist) the famous but struggled journalist, is hired to solve the case of Harriet. If I’m an investigative reporter I have to learn from him. He’s good not only in finding facts but also analyzing situations. Gee, how you can go on if the case was happened long time ago? Then the family is not only uncooperative but also shooing you away. It takes deep interest and passion to solve this kind of case that is not personally related to you.
            It is also not tiring to follow their leads and the sideways of their investigation. Furthermore the tandem of Lizbeth and Mikael is great combination. The man is brave and smart in getting the possible information while the girl is good in technology as well as for having photographic memory. I don’t care the age gap and their physical features, though I wish they should remain best friends than lovers.
          Another thing, the story of both lead characters can already stand on its own. You can sympathize with Mikael in his dilemma as well as with Lizbeth who has dark personality.
        I just learned that this novel is part of trilogy – Millennium series. Thus, there are The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl who Kicked The Hornets’ Nest. In Sweden, they launched these three within one year. I hope to see the other two sequels, but not too soon. I need time to simmer down my aftershock.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

& ur review?