point of views of a viewer

a viewer's point of view

Monday, April 13, 2009

Yes Man, Atonement!

I admit, my Holy Week was not really that good even if I read the February - March of Our Daily Journey and the Bible.

What we did, especially me, was to watch various movies that mostly not connived with the celebration. The first in the list was Underworld then followed by Atonement, Yes Man, Mall Cop, Anaconda, Twilight (I watched it again since I finally finished the novel and I'm now in book two), then X Men.

Of all these, I want to recommend or give importance to Atonement & Yes Man, which were very relevant films. I think they at least give something for my suppose to be reflection mode during Holy Week.

Atonement

Honestly, Keira Knightley was the only star I knew in the film. However, when I saw the trailer of it in 2007, I was already interested to watch it. The title was intriguing already.

When I watched it last Holy Wednesday night, My kuya left me alone. Well, I agree that the flow/ editing of the scenes were distracting since they (filmmaker) opted to have back-story every now and then. I never gave in, the plot glued me already.

Indeed, I realized how painful it was both to victims- Keira's character Cecilia Tallis & to her lover - Robbie Turner (played by James McAvoy) and to false accuser -the 13-year old Briony Tallis (played by Saoirse Ronan). Briony accused Robbie of raping her cousin Lola... which was actually not true.

There were parts that I didn't really grasp, but all in all the implication of the movie for me was... it really painful to bear guilt, that you are the reason why some people were suffering. And the saddest thing, you don't have chance to correct your mistake.

Bravo to the author of the story - Ian McEwan!

Yes Man

When my Kuya (brother) brought DVDs, I personally picked Yes Man that was top billed by Jim Carrey. I've known the film from a sermon of a priest in Manila. And just like what he said the movie will tell you how to change your life by being positive or affirmative to various things.

And in addition to what he said, the movie also reminds of course that you only say yes if your really mean it.

The message of the movie is really good and with the twist, it was delivered in adult comedy. though I admit I'm not fan of Jim Carrey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

& ur review?